Paid Positions Available for High School Math, Science, Computer, and Career and Technical Education Teachers
Posted: March 14, 2014
The Baliga Lab at the Institute for Systems Biology (ISB) is currently hiring two high school teachers to work full time for approximately 8 weeks during the summer of 2014. Since 2004, the Baliga Lab has joined teachers with researchers, engineers, programmers, and student interns to develop standards-, research- and inquiry-based education modules for science classrooms that bring exciting new scientific concepts and techniques to high school students. Pay rate will be $30 per hour.
If you would like to be a part of this process by working in the lab
to help develop these investigations, please submit your application materials as stated below to Claudia Ludwig by April 21, 2014
. You may submit them electronically to email@example.com
, or via fax at 206-732-1299, or via mail at 401 Terry Avenue N, Seattle, WA 98109.
Your time at ISB would allow you to work on the experiments, curriculum, and technology needed for several of our upcoming modules. Topics include:
- Building and using mathematical models to understand the environment, oceans, cancer, bioenergy, evolution and/or adaptation
- An interdependence study between salt dwelling organisms
- Systems level studies with model organisms such as the archeon Halobacterium salinarum, the diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana, and the algaeDunaliella salina
- How the environment leads to adaptation and/or changes in gene expression
- The building and testing of scientific technology and instruments
What is required from you:
- A creative mind for stimulating lab work and possible course material
- A commitment to work for ~320 hours over July and August (or there may be a possibility to spread this out over a longer period of time) for $30/hour.
- A copy of your resume/CV
- A description of your interest and background
- A description of your school, teaching assignment, and your students
Please click here
for a one-page description of this opportunity.
Also, if you are interested in being a part of this process by field-testing materials, using completed materials, attending training workshops, or by supporting some of our education efforts, please contact Claudia Ludwig (firstname.lastname@example.org
Here’s what Mari a teacher from Lynden High School has said about working in the Baliga Lab at ISB: “The synergy created by the Baliga Lab group, interns, inspiring speakers, other teachers, and the entire ISB community will keep me fired up during my 30th!!! year in the classroom. A systems approach is a paradigm shift…I’m having dreams about ISB and how I am going to adjust my teaching and learning. Total immersion therapy?!”