Join us for a full summer of lab and curriculum work!
Posted: March 14, 2014
The Baliga Lab at the Institute for Systems Biology (ISB) is currently hiring two high school teachers to work full time for approximately 8 weeks during the summer of 2014. Since 2004, the Baliga Lab has joined teachers with researchers, engineers, programmers, and student interns to develop standards-, research- and inquiry-based education modules for science classrooms that bring exciting new scientific concepts and techniques to high school students. Pay rate will be $30 per hour.
- Building and using mathematical models to understand the environment, oceans, cancer, bioenergy, evolution and/or adaptation
- An interdependence study between salt dwelling organisms
- Systems level studies with model organisms such as the archeon Halobacterium salinarum, the diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana, and the algaeDunaliella salina
- How the environment leads to adaptation and/or changes in gene expression
- The building and testing of scientific technology and instruments
- A creative mind for stimulating lab work and possible course material
- A commitment to work for ~320 hours over July and August (or there may be a possibility to spread this out over a longer period of time) for $30/hour.
- A copy of your resume/CV
- A description of your interest and background
- A description of your school, teaching assignment, and your students