HS-PS1.A Structure and Properties of Matter
- Each atom has a charged substructure consisting of a nucleus, which is made of protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons. (HS-PS1-1)
- The periodic table orders elements horizontally by the number of protons in the atom’s nucleus and places those with similar chemical properties in columns.
- The repeating patterns of this table reflect patterns of outer electron states. (HS-PS1-1),(HS-PS1-2)
- The structure and interactions of matter at the bulk scale are determined by electrical forces within and between atoms. (HS-PS1-3),(secondary to HS-PS2-6)
- A stable molecule has less energy than the same set of atoms separated; one must provide at least this energy in order to take the molecule apart. (HS-PS1-4)