Announcing our NEW Systems Thinkers in STEM Ambassador Program
In addition to the learning objectives below, students participating in this program will have the opportunity to build their 21st-century learning skills, gain knowledge of STEM careers, pathways, and workplaces, and strengthen their STEM identity and aspirations.
Eligible students can participate in just Tier 1, or both Tier 1 & Tier 2:
|Tier 1||Tier 2|
|Delivery Mode||All content and activities will be delivered online using Zoom, and completed synchronously||All content and activities will be delivered online using Zoom, and completed both synchronously and asynchronously|
|Commitment||1x, 2-hour workshop||
|Timeframe||Workshops will be offered throughout February, March and early April 2021||Courses will be offered throughout late Spring & Summer, 2021. Ambassador Program will run through the Fall.|
|Eligibility||Rising high school juniors and seniors who have completed our online application will receive a registration form to sign up for a workshop. Refer to our FAQ page for additional eligibility questions. Please be patient while waiting to receive your email. Also, please check your spam folder.||Students who have completed Tier 1 + an asynchronous project (details provided in the workshop) will be invited to select a course based on our modules. April 5th UPDATE: with over 400 interested participants who have completed thorough applications, we have decided to have students complete a scheduling survey instead of an asynchronous project. If you completed Tier 1, you were emailed more information and a link to a survey during the 1st or 2nd week of April.|
In Tier 1 of this interactive program students will:
- Learn what systems are and how systems thinking is used by STEM professionals featured in our Systems Thinkers in STEM video series
- Use an online modeling tool to create and modify a systems model
- Learn about the 16 systems thinking skills and why they are important
- Create an infographic to develop their understanding of one of the systems thinking skills
- Track their systems thinking skills development using an innovative heatmap
In Tier 2 of this interactive program students will:
- Apply their systems knowledge from Tier 1 to a new STEM topic area
- Engage with content from one of our hands-on curriculum modules based on real-world phenomena
- Work independently, in pairs or in a small group to develop an Ambassador project based on their learning from the course
- Showcase their project at a community event in October (online or in-person)
- Learn more about Tier 2 through these resources:
- Document with 2021 Tier 2 Details (http://bit.ly/Tier2-STISA)
- Timeline with links to more information (http://bit.ly/STISA-Timeline-Slides)
- Spreadsheet calendar (http://bit.ly/STISA-calendar) – Each month is displayed as a separate tab and contains both scheduled events and potential Tier 2 courses. We will update this calendar as courses, schedules, and events are finalized after receiving information from Tier 2 participants via survey.
Thank you to our sponsors! If you are interested in supporting and/or sponsoring this program, please visit https://give.isbscience.org/STEM-education. Thank you!