Lesson 4 – Conducting Halo Salinity Experiment
Course: Life Science, Integrated Science, STEM
Unit: Ecological Networks Part 1- Network interactions
What Students Learn:
- Halobacterium are extremophiles thriving in high saline environments.
- An ecological disturbance in a single abiotic or biotic factor could affect an entire ecosystem.
- Natural events and human activities affect the Earth’s capacity to sustain biological diversity.
- Spectrophotometers are used to measure cell density.
What Students Do:
- Implement a scientific investigation using appropriate technology, multiple measures, proper controls, systematic data collection and safe approaches.
- Compare, contrast and critique divergent results from their investigations.
Please note: The Halobacterium culture should have been prepared AT LEAST 4 days prior to beginning the lab with students. The directions for this are located below in the section entitled, “Preparation of the Culture."